Saturday, February 16, 2013

To Owen, at 10 Months

Dear Boogie,

With this post, I am finally caught up. For some reason I have had a mental block on this blog for a little while. I blame it on Instagram's quick convenience and the fact that I am unable to sit down if you are awake. Well, to be fair, I can sit down, but I can't pay attention to anything else. You make sure of that.

You make sure of that either by demanding that I am looking at you and doing something with you, or by exploring the house on your own and being sure to find something dangerous. I have now joined the ranks of moms who realize that it is too quiet and search each room until they find their offspring doing something they shouldn't, from trying to climb in the dishwasher, to trying to eat a wrapper. I know that it will get much worse, but I wasn't prepared for how this would affect me. I feel like I get nothing done, and like entire days go by without me noticing. Its like a wierd mix of amnesia and ADD that is so different from how I felt when you were first born. That was like a fog that I couldn't see through, and my brain couldn't function. I am starting to see what all the moms mean when they say that other than the tiredness and overwhelming feelings, a newborn baby is actually a lot easier than a baby who can get into stuff, hurt himself, express his displeasure quite strongly, and demand all of your attention. That creates mental frustration in a different way, like my brain functions but I am not able to see a task through to the end.

All that being said, you are SO much fun. If I didn't have to like, cook, and work, and clean, and stuff, I really would just be happy following you around. You are so obviously thinking and forming opinions and developing your personality that I love to just watch you. You play with toys for longer periods of time, and have a very specific way of playing. You love the beaded activity station that Grammy got you for Christmas, and you move the beads and open the doors and spin the spinners on the sides. You play with your Little People toys from Aunt Kim, and love to make the ferris wheel spin. Your favorite toy makes me so happy: you love the vintage looking Woody doll santa brought you for Christmas. You drag him around the house, you pick him up and drop him, you bend his legs and arms, you chew on his hands and his perfectly coiffed plastic hair. Sometimes you try to make him fit in between the beaded rails on your toy from Grammy. The funniest part is watching you work so hard to crawl to the couch with Woody in one hand as you crawl, and then standing up at the couch still holding him. You work hard balancing yourself against the couch and pull Woody up with you. After all of that work, you THROW Woody back down on the floor and then yell at him for being down there. You are pretty repetitive about this "game" and it is funny to watch.

Woody is also part of your biggest accomplishment this month: you know what certain words mean. We realized that you knew that "Where's ______?" meant to look around for something or someone. The first person that you did this with was Pops last month, and he was pretty proud of that. We were in San Diego and asked "Where's Pops?" and you looked at everyone at the table and your eyes stopped on Pops. That trend continued this month with you finding dada when I say "Where's Dada?" It was really cool to realize that you knew who Woody was, and to watch you spot him across the room, crawl to him and bring him back when Dada said "Where's Woody?"

You also reach up when we say "Let's go!" and put our hands out, and you know respond strongly when I ask if you are hungry. You are also learning what NO! means, and hear it frequently when you try to reach the tv, pull on the DVD's or flip over while your diaper is being changed.

You've gotten much more graceful about standing up and sitting down, and you are less likely to tip things over on your self. You also bend your knees as you let go, so you don't just fall back flat. You can stand for a few seconds at a time, but you aren't interested in trying to walk on your own. You crawl SUPER fast, and can also get up to a standing position by pushing your hands flat against the wall. You are pretty satisfied with your ability to get where you want to go, so walking is kind of on the back burner. Your favorite place to crawl is under the kitchen chairs and table, and you have quite a little obstacle course going on there. You also looking like you are going rock climbing when you grab onto the handles on the kitchen drawers.

What else? You started wearing big boy pajamas and t shirts that don't snap between the legs. You don't like to take naps, and I am lucky if you sleep a whole hour once or twice a day. You make up for it by sleeping 11 hours every night. This month you tried roasted red peppers, lentils and mangoes. You liked everything you ate. We tried to constantly mix up your foods, and to give you different flavors, textures and temperatures. Sweet Potatoes, pumpkin and avocado are still your go-tos.

I held a few different babies that are younger than you this month, and have also been remembering being pregnant with you while talking to your Aunt Kell and other girls at school. Part of me misses you being that small and cuddly, but the biggest part of me is so thankful for you at this age, for how I feel and for how it feels to be at our house.

It's funny, though, because I am pretty sure I will always feel that way. :)

Love, Mama

No comments: