Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Okay everyone! Let's all LISTEN to Mrs. BRYSON!!"

Sorry. I forgot that you were not a kindergartner, hence the yelling in the title of this entry.

I have managed to survive the first 4 days of school. I have had minimal head aches, only almost lost my voice, have managed to to get up on time every morning, and have even had the wherewithall (is that supposed to be one word?) to pack lunches for both of us everyday. I even made dinner tonight.

This is in direct contrast to pretty much every other year I've started off: those years consisted of brain splitting headaches, immediately having a whisper voice, having to drag myself out of bed every morning, and falling over dead as soon as I get home. Those years usually meant that I was scrounging around for food like the Prodigal Son (wierd Biblical reference that I was not intending to use, but I think it fits?) trying to stop himself from eating the pigs food because he was so poor, but except I am trying to stop myself from eating the kids left over sandwich crusts because I don't have the brain or body power to go to the grocery store.

So yeah, this has been nice. I think it is a combination of many things. I love living in this house, for one. I didn't realize how much going to the apartment that was crowded and unorganized weighed me down. Plus also, the dogs are outside, and the "commute" is much more pleasant. For two, with it being the short summer, the custodians did not move as much furniture so it wasn't as much of a hassle to put my room back together. Also, I didn't have to change any walls or hang up any new paper this year.

For three (and the biggest reason of all, I think), in the middle of last year I made a conscious promise to myself to do things differently this year. I loved those kids last year, but bless their little hearts, they had a hard time getting in the swing of our procedures. They finally did, but it took a long time, and a lot of hair pulling, mostly mine. (In fact, that is a saying of mine: "Are we doing well right now? Or is Mrs. Bryson wanting to pull her hair out?!?!"). I realized later that I explained everything once, then jumped in. I kind of forgot that they are brand new to school, and that we tell them SO MUCH in the first few weeks of school that it is a wonder that they want to to come back! So, the promise was to invest a lot of time in the beginning of the year in getting to know each kid, being down on their level, and remembering what they don't know. I vowed to have the courtesy and respect for them to explain what is expected of them, and then give them a chance to practice it before jumping right in. It has already made all of the difference for them and for me. There has been little pressure on any of us this week, since we are all just getting to know each other, and what is expected of all of us. Now, there will come a time that the pressure will ramp up, that I will have a lot more to do and plan, and that some will want to rebel. But I am hoping that this time of bonding will help us all when that time comes, and I hope that this happy and relaxed attitude will prevail!

Here are a few highlights:
  • I went to high school with at least one parent in my class.
  • I have a brother of a student that I had for 2 years when I went from K to 1st. I feel like I have known this student his entire life!
  • I survived having Back to School night alone in my room with all of the parents. It went pretty well, and I had a few laughs.
  • This class is pretty funny so far. I think there will be a lot of "Overheard in Room 4" blog entries.
  • They love stories being read to them, which is perfect for me, because I would read outloud all day long if I could! I am holding off on Mo Willems until they know me more, but have started with The Froggy Series by Jonathan London. They can already tell the difference between hard back and paper back, and can put their books away with the spine showing. (All to make my mom and Nina proud!)

So, I guess the point is that I am realizing that my attitude makes a big difference. I am determined to stay relaxed and happy and to do the best I can!

PS Anyone who might laugh or scoff at the idea of routines or procedure for Kindergartners is welcome to stop by and take over for me for a few minutes...

No comments: