Thursday, September 6, 2012

To Owen, at 5 Months Old

Dear Boogie,

I don't have any grand, sweeping statements to make for this month. This month just felt normal and happy, and I want to right about who you have become, and what things are like in the Bryson Lovenest.

You continue to be our favorite thing, and Mama and Daddy don't ever really choose to be away from you, if we don't have to. We take you with us everywhere, and would choose to hang out with you over anyone else. We didn't do too many adventurous things this month, with it being a million degrees and Mama going back to work, but you always have a great attitude about being in restaurants, going shopping or talking to people at church or school.

That is the number one thing I am happy about: everyone who meets you says how happy you are, how much you just love talking and being outside or with lots of people. I've never seen you not smile at someone and this makes me so happy. I want you to be confident and happy in whatever situation you might find yourself in. I am also a bit relieved, because there was a little while there where I was nervous that I was never going to be able to take you out in public, or that you were just going to be generally unhappy. You have definitely grown out of that period, and I am glad that so many people love you.

You are too funny, because sometimes the whole "acting better with other people thing" that I always tell Kindergarten parents about seems to have already kicked in. Things that make you fussy at home (like being tired or hungry) don't bother you when you are with people or doing something fun. Like at your cousin Luke's 8th birthday party. We were there for the whole afternoon and into the evening, and you had so much fun swinging, being held, and watching the kids that you never took a nap. We finally decided to go, and you left the party by showing how you giggle when Mama tickles your belly with her nose. I am not kidding, son, that as SOON as we walked out the door and put you in the truck you started screaming your head off. You didn't want to go home, and you also realized how tired you were. You cried for a while in the truck, and then fell into a deep sleep. :)

You have gained some weight (you weighed 13 pounds at your 4 month dr. appt) but you are still a petite little dude. You are very active, always moving, standing or waving your hands and feet. Your are very coordinated with your feet, that when you are laying on your back your feet look like you are running.. You are good at holding your head up when you are laying on your belly, and still kick your legs and arms like you are about to take off crawling. I am really okay with the fact that you haven't yet. :)

You started sleeping in your own room in this month. You did a pretty good job, but in this month you must have been growing because you started waking up at night. At first I wasn't sure what to do about it (letting you cry seemed too mean, but I also want you to learn to sleep on your own) and then I realized that you were hungry. I am happy that you eat and then go right back to sleep. We are experimenting with how and when to feed you and what time for you to go to bed so that you will sleep all night. You still do most nights, but every once and a while you think 1:30 am seems like a good time to be awake and hungry.

Just so I always remember, my favorite part of the day is bedtime. I just love our routine: we play outside until you start to get fussy and sleepy. (You start acting tired around 6:30, but we try to push it until 7:30ish) You take a shower with Mama or Daddy, which is something you absolutely love. You can be crying and will instantly calm down and smile once you are in the water. Daddy has even gotten your face wet, and you don't mind. You play with the water in your hands, and try to drink it. I think your favorite part of the day is what comes next, which is laying naked on your changing table. You love kicking, scooting, arching your back and wiggling for more than 10 minutes. Then you get in your pajamas and we play in your room. We play with the Little People Farmer and Tractor that Daddy's Grandpa got you for Christmas right now, and sometimes Daddy puts you in your car. (I thought he would burst with pride when the first time you got in it you immediately grabbed the steering wheel like a pro.) After we play we read. Lately it has been I'll See You in the Morning and Goodnight Moon, and Daddy has also been reading the Bible to you. We talk about what God is good at, and what we are all thankful for. Then it is time for your last bottle, and usually you are so tired by this point that you just fall asleep on my lap as I feed you. I lay you across my chest to burp you and you conk out. I swaddle you and put you in your bed, and you usually stay asleep. I hope I always feel this way about bedtime, and that you are always so cooperative. :)

Also in this month you have been in the big pool at Aunt Judy's twice. You go on walks with Pops and Gramma while Mama is at school. You got to come to school one day for a flag assembly, and you loved all of it except the school cheer, which was too loud for you. Daddy picked you up from Gramma's in his service truck, and he has also taken you on drives in the Yukon. He thinks you like the rumble of the engines because you always fall right asleep. You went to Aunt (Nana? we can't decide) Kim's one afternoon when Mama had an appointment after school, and had fun. You also got to meet their new dog Jack.

Going back to school has been better than I thought it would be. You are doing great with Gramma, and I love my class. I LOVE second grade more than I ever could have known, and things are going well with my partner.

Going back to work has also given me my favorite 30 seconds in my day.

You have been waking up pretty consistently around 4:30 am. I feed you and you go right back to sleep. When Daddy gets up, I put you in bed next to me, and you sleep so cozy and on my days off, we just sleep until we both wake up. On the days I have to work, I leave you in bed and I get up and get ready. My favorite 30 seconds is when I pick you up and walk you out to put you in the truck. You are so peacefully asleep, that I always stop and admire you for a second. When I pick you up, your body is so floppy and relaxed that you remind me of Mosrite's floppy puppy body. You stretch your arms and lift your eyebrows and scrunch your mouth, but you stay asleep and cuddle into me as I take you outside. The way you feel in my arms, completely relaxed, as I walk down the path to the truck is my favorite feeling. I think I like it because it is so fleeting, but I can be in the moment.

Things have been good, in other words. There have been several times when I have looked around and thought "I am a mom, and I am sort of on top of things right now." That is a good feeling.

Thank you for that.

Love,
Mama

No comments: