Thursday, January 29, 2009

January

I've been thinking a lot lately about how many things I can remember that have happened to me in January. They are not the most amazing things, but something about January is a time stamp for me. I'm not sure if it's the whole "New Year" thing, but for some reason a lot of semi-important things have happened to me in this month. When I started thinking about all of those things, I decided to make a list:

  • January 12, 1998-- got my first A on Honors English essay (my revered teacher used my essay on a transparency to show the whole class how to write an essay!), fell in love with Matt Damon on Oprah and bought my first fashionable coat from Old Navy all in the same day.
  • January 30, 1998-- Delaney Brown is born. Remember driving away from hospital after visiting her listening to Paul McCartney's "Beautiful Night" and thinking "It is a beautiful night!"
  • January 18, 2000-- Dylan Blades is born, remember haunting the hospital for what felt like days (I'm sure Kim felt that sentiment even stronger than anyone...) then getting the call early in the morning and just having to go see him.
  • January 2002-- Leave for London. This was the beginning of what turned out to be one of the most amazing and important life experiences for me. I will never forget what it felt like to stumble around that city the first day, my body still in CA, but my mind raring to go experience everything.
  • January 2003-- start my student teaching. This was the beginning of what turned out to be one of the most humiliating, discouraging and terrible times in my life. I've spent every moment in any classroom since trying to over come what was instilled in me by Mr. Casarez and Ms. Rountree. (In fact, it was even hard for me to type their names.) The only good thing about this time was falling in love with John Mayer. Room for Squares was a very important album for me: it felt like he was talking to me, and it made me feel better. He's one of the few that can still do that.
  • January 2004-- travel with the Carpenters/Blades/Browns to San Diego. It was there that I ate so much junk food (I'm talking about burgers, fries, large frappucinos and just about anything else you can think of all in one day) that I thought "Maybe I should eat a little healthier." It all started with giving up fries and soda, which led to more and more, which led to a weight loss that was significant. It also led to a sort of food and calorie obssession that I'm glad to be done with, thought I'm still sort of hung up on food and body issues. Im learning, though, that it's a process I'll always have to deal with. Also in this month: seeing Phantom Planet play a free show in the Virgin Megastore at our local mall. I will never forget seeing Alex climb on the cd racks where I'd shopped before.
  • January 2006-- travel to San Jose for CA State Kindergarten Conference. This was an important experience because it broke me of a lot of the bad thoughts I'd been carrying around from my student teaching and reinforced by years of not getting hired as a teacher. On this trip, I traveled with a group of people that I have come to consider as close as family, and who have helped me to become the (somewhat) confident teacher that I am today. Also, I met Charlotte Diamond (singer of "I am a pizza" and "Each of us is a flower." Does anyone not know who she is?!?) and had my picture taken with her.
  • January 2008-- a HUGE month: First New Year's celebrated with a kiss. I pick out my engagement ring and John buys it mostly in secret. Dad gives John the 90. John proposes at Disneyland and wedding planning ensues. Unfortunately this month also includes the death of Granny, which has had a lasting influence on us all.
  • January 2009-- first year I did not go to school AT ALL during Christmas break. Took trailer to Disneyland. Took 2 days off from school because of really bad cold (have never done that-- the first time I felt so bad that I didn't care at all about missing school). Mary passed away. Linda Janacek passed away. Started looking at houses (are we ready for such a thing?). Fell in love with Tom Petty's music. Feel disappointment about the direction our country is going in. Dad finished reading Atlas Shrugged. Trained all of the Kindergarten teachers in the District how to use Data Director (felt funny teaching teachers...) and decided that Bill Bryson (no relation) is my favorite living author.

What will future Januaries hold?

No comments: