Friday, March 27, 2009

His name is...








...Atticus, and I love him.


Atticus popped into my head when I was trying to think of strong, male names that aren't too butch. When I think of Atticus I think of Gregory Peck balancing his glasses on his forehead to shoot the rabid dog, or of him shouting "Scout!" after Scout and Jem are attacked.

My students like it because it sounds like Add-a-kiss.





I will admit that I still feel a pang of loss when I see a red mini cooper with white top, but overall, I am glad to have more room, cheaper gas (no more premium!) and lack of fear when it comes to parts needing to be replaced.







Everyone's reaction to letting Gemma go has been pretty much universal: WHAT?!?! You got RID of GEMMA?!? Teri didn't believe me on Monday morning (No way, that is not your car.), Kim looked like she was about to cry, and getting rid of Gemma was a topic of conversation for a few rounds of the Deer Canyon Ladies' bunco night, apparently. And of course, the first question was about car seats in the back, which is the best reason Miss Pat was there to straighten everyone out. The most surprising reaction was the drive thru girl at the McDonald's on Foothill and Archibald. I was driving through one morning to get an XL Diet Coke (yes, I drink a lot of soda, I know.) and the Drive Thru girl (who barely spoke English, by the way) said "You got rid of your car? That's so sad, but I like dis one too!" Either my car was very memorable, or I drive through that McDonald's for soda way too much.


I never knew what it was like to drive without a blind spot. Before Gemma I drove a little civic, so I have always been little and low to the ground. I must say it is very nice to be a bit more imposing when changing lanes. He is very smooth and fast, and it is lovely not to have to shift. (Although I have already told Vanessa that I want to borrow her civic sometime, just so I don't forget how to drive stick!). It is also lovely to have a real trunk. Yesterday I drove around with three loads of laundry in the back seat, and a 40 pound bag of dog food in the trunk. This never would have been possible in Gemma. My favorite thing is the stereo, as I finally have an auxiliary input, so I can play my ipod.







Here are some pics.

1: John washing him. He convinced me to buy this carwash set from Costco, which actually turned out to be pretty cool. I am certain Atticus will be kept very clean.

2: Sticker placement was very important and took a lot of thought. I was excited to find 2 Beatles stickers at Rhino Records in Claremont (even more significant as I have bought every car sticker there) in silver, because they would really stand out on the tinting.

3: "Portraits of the lovebirds on Atticus"

4: Finally, no more cds to keep organized- I carry 5000 songs in my hand! I even have a car charger, and the middle console between the two seats has a place to charge and a little slot for the cord to come out.





No comments: