Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Overheard in Room 4

This was another conversation that was totally unprompted and out of nowhere. I overheard it while teaching another group during centers.

Student 1: When we voted in class, I voted for John McCain. That's who my parents wanted me to vote for.

Student 2: REALLY?!? Your parents like John McCain? I don't like John McCain.

Student 1: Why not?

Student 2: Because black people like Barack Obama.

Student 3 (of a nationality other than Black): But my parents like Barack too!

Student 2: Well, maybe you are turning black! Ha ha, just kidding!

(Teacher's note: We did have a mock election in our class, based only on how the candidate's looked. I didn't talk about them at all, other than to show them their official portrait and how to read their names. It was a secret ballot with the kids voting one at a time by dropping tickets into the tub with the picture of the president they wanted. Surprisingly enough, John McCain won overwhelmingly in Room 4, but when the electoral college of Kindergarten stepped in-- that is, we added up all of the votes in all of the K classes-- Barack ended up winning. Funny that this came up today, though, since it happened so long ago!)

No comments: