Sunday, May 3, 2009

Introducing Ibanez

Our other big news is that we got another dog!

At first it seemed like a really crazy idea, having another dog in the apartment. Now that she's ours I can't really remember life without her.She fell into our laps just like everything else that has happened to us, so in that way, she fits right in!

A parent of a Late Bird student in Teri's class would bring her kindergartner and her younger daughter during our Early Bird recess. I never paid attention before until the younger daughter came carrying the cutest, tiniest little dog. It was funny, because I love Mosrite, but I don't love dogs, and yet I felt like I loved this little dog. On a whim I texted John a picture asking if we needed her, and of course he texted back "Yes!" I joked with the mom about this and she goes "Is he serious?!? The puppy came from our neighbor's dog that had an unexpected litter and they want to get rid of them. Actually, my husband brought home this dog without asking me and we already have 4. Do you want this one?" Without thinking I found myself saying "Yes!" John and I talked about it off and on for a week, and finally decided we wanted her. The craziest thing of all is that the day we decided we wanted her was the same day we saw our house and made an offer. That kind of told us she was meant to be in our family!

It was a little touch and go in the beginning, since she didn't warm up to us right away. We got nervous for a while wondering if she had some pit bull in her. It was also stressful because she seemed to make Mosrite more psycho, rather than comforted like we had hoped. It gradually got better, she warmed up to us and she and Mosrite can play together without worrying that Mosrite is going to chew her head off. We've done some research, and we think she is Queensland Heeler, which is an Australian Cattle Herding dog. They of course are super smart and active dogs: we couldn't possibly get a lazily simple dog. Luckily, though, Heelers grow to be about 18-20 inches tall and about 25 pounds.

Her name is Ibanez, after another kind of guitar. Everyone asks if she has a nickname, but not really, other than little girl. (As opposed to Mosrite who is baby boy.) She is very smart, knowing where she lived after a few days, knowing where her food is and even figuring out how to open the cabinet. She caught on to getting into her box when she sees a treat much faster than Mosrite did. She can be very cuddily, but is much braver than Mosrite. So far she is not scared of anything and is not afraid to show it. At her first doctor's appt, she weighed 6 pounds at 8 weeks old. Next appointment at 11 weeks old she weighed 10 pounds. Now at the ripe old age of 15 weeks she already weighs 24 pounds.



Here are some pictures from the first few days after she came home:























No comments: