Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cross that one off of the "Life List"...


I got to meet Mo Willems today!!!


He is my favorite children's book author, and in my top 5 reasons I love being a teacher.


I figured I would never get to see him live because he lives in New York and rarely does book tours off of the East Coast. Today worked out perfectly, though as we were able to squeeze this mission in between morning and afternoon worship!


He was so funny and engaging live. I really wish I could just work for him and follow him around, because, like I said, sometimes the only thing that can get me excited about my week ahead at school is knowing I will read one of his books. There were a lot of kids in the audience and he had them cracking up and hanging on his every word.


I bought his 2 newest books "Cat the Cat: Who is that?" and "Let's Say Hi! To Friends Who Fly!" They are both really cute and a part of a new series that I can't wait to use.


We were lucky enough to be in the first group that got autographs. He signed the photo I brought of my class holding a sign that said "Mrs. Bryson's Class says HI to Mo Willems!" He thanked me for the work I do as a teacher, and I thanked him for making my job so easy!




Here is a photo of him while reading. (All of the photos came out kind of blurry because they wouldn't let us use the flash.) He kind of reminded me and John of a cross between Uncle Ron (for those who know him...) and Dwight from the Office (but kinder and better with kids...).



Here's the shot that makes it "Life List" worthy. This photo will be framed and hanging in my classroom as long as it's my classroom!


I was glad to get one of him with my mom since she is the one who turned me on to him all those years ago when she still worked at the Deer Canyon library. (Which reminds me: our current librarian told me that she can always tell which students have been in my class, even years later, because they go straight to the W shelf to look for Mo Willems' books. I told you he was and important person in our class!)





PS In case I didn't give you enough evidence that Mo Willems is important to me, does this look
familiar to you?
I found the image that inspired the image that Kate so lovingly recreated for me in There is a Bird on Your Head! This then inspired the entire theme for our wedding (I even thank him in our wedding program) and our nickname as the Bryson Lovebirds!

No comments: