My birthday started with a surprise party at my evening adult English class. I had joked about it being my birthday soon, but they had me totally shocked when I came in and saw all kinds of food and a gift for me! They really are the sweetest ladies: I have only known them for about 3 months, and we have gotten really close. We have fun and try to learn at the same time.
These might look like normal ladies, but get them on certain subjects and they will have you cracking up. Especially Candy, on the right, who always wears red lip stick and jewelry that matches her outfit. She has trouble speaking English, until she starts talking about her mother in law, and then she can communicate her feelings just fine! :)
Teri had asked me if I wanted anything for lunch on my birthday, that she would bring it in. I picked sushi from Costco, since I never get to have it, and we all like to share it. She also ended up bringing fresh strawberries with chocolate for dipping. We had a lovely little party.
Teri is one of my favorite ladies- I seriously could not do my job without her!
These 2 ladies make my life better! :) I only wish Miss Pat could have been in there for this picture too. She is definitely another of my favorite people!
Also in these pictures was my biggest surprise: an Edible Arrangements gift that was waiting for me in the staff lounge. Tammy TOTALLY surprised me, and I could have figured it out, too! I thought it was strange when she asked for my school's address, that she met someone who might have heard of my school and she wanted to know if it was the same one. I thought, "That's kind of wierd, but oh well, here's the address!" It was a great gift, a surprise, and really yummy!
I also built up my birthday with my students, and brought in treats for them. (Can you tell I like to be celebrated?) They got to decorate a cupcake (that I baked!) with green frosting and jelly beans to look like an Easter Basket. Fun and stickiness was had by all.
That night we went to a restaurant called Bahooka. It was SOOOO fun and amazing! It feels like you are walking into a ship, and had the coolest ambiance. The food was really yummy, and it was the perfect birthday experience.
The next day we decided to have a beach day, since it was so gorgeous. We went to the Costa Mesa Swap Meet first, and I was very successful. I found a new purse, pair of shoes and a dress. Afterwards we found a nice little deserted place half way between Newport and Huntington where we laid in the sun for a while. It was quiet, warm, peaceful and relaxing.
Of course we had to eat at Ruby's. Not only is it one of John's favorites, it is a traditional birthday place for me. I think the story goes that the first one opened up on Balboa pier around my first birthday and I had to sit on a phone book. I also remember making a special trip down there for my 14th birthday, when I wore my super cool light denim jacket Kim had just gotten me.
Overall, it was a great birthday weekend. It definitely feels wierd to be 29- I don't feel old or sad about it, it just feels like such a grown up age, like I should feel like and adult. Everyone I have sad that to has said that you never really feel that feeling...
I can't believe my next birthday is the big one. I have told John he now has a little less than one year to plan me an awesome surprise 30th birthday party!
No comments:
Post a Comment