Saturday, August 14, 2010

So I think I am just going to word vomit all over you.

Here's how the writing process usually goes: I get an idea for a blog (something funny I thought of, or something that we did that I want to share) and then think of the title for it. I spend a few days mulling it over in my mind, then when the motivation strikes, I write the entry without much thought. The whole process happens naturally, without much effort.

That is not what has been happening this week. I have been like a kid with ADD who is off of his meds. I have had a fleeting thought like "You could write about that on the blog," which is immediately replaced by another thought like "That kid is running around the classroom, you better stop him."

So, since I have had thought kernels not spend enough time near heat to actually pop, the blog will be like that defunct bag of popcorn that never pops, no matter how many times you hit the "popcorn" button on the microwave.

I am really proud of that metaphor I just thought of (the one about the popcorn) but I guess it doesn't go very well with the title I already created. Oh well, you get the image somehow, whether it's from the vomit or the unpopped kernels. The point is, I'm going to tell you a little bit of everything, and I hope you will still get something out of it.

  • I had a great summer. I lost 15 pounds, survived 2 masters classes, had a great little vacation, finally decorated my living room, had a party, made friends, actually made plans with friends and rested.
  • Brent and Chanel's wedding was a fun time. I am glad we went, and I know they were glad to have John there. I wish my mom and I could go into business helping busy brides who are on a budget: their wedding was great and on the small side, and I just wish we had been around to give them little ideas that are cheap, small touches that really add a lot. One another note, it really made a difference to spend the last weekend away before starting school. It forced me to get my room ready, and to spend the last free days relaxing, rather than thinking about school. I think I want to do it always!
  • I joined a gym. I am going to emphasize the next sentence to make sure you all pay attention to what a big deal it is. I GO TO THE GYM AT 5 IN THE MORNING AND WORK OUT BEFORE SCHOOL AND I HAVEN'T DIED YET. Yes, the girl who used to roll out of bed at 6:50 and leave for school at 7:15 now gets up at 4:30. The girl who used to plan her life around her hair now sweats daily and wears her hair curly as a result. The girl who used to set time aside in her schedule at night to wash and straighten her hair perfectly now can not only get up early enough to go work out, but can also wash and fix her hair in 30 minutes. I would like to lose 10-15 more pounds (in actuality, I would like to lose 30 more pounds, but I am coming to terms with the fact that this is not realistic), but the point is to have more strength and energy. So far I am feeling pretty good about it. I go with Kim and my new (outside of school) friend Jenn, and the time passes easily.
  • This might be my best year of teaching ever. I spent a day the week before last thinking that I would be a K/1 combo class (which I wanted), but then found out that I would stay K. We all agreed that we have super awesome classes who were ready to try harder things only 2 days into school. We were really enjoying the smaller classes, when the district stepped in to make some changes. Since we only have 77 kindergarteners (last year we had 99), I was made into a small class of only 20 students who all come in the morning, and no students in the afternoon. The other two classes still have afternoon students, so I will spend my afternoons in their classrooms. Thought it makes me nervous about what will happen next year (we have been in school 5 days and already I wonder about next year...) I am seriously loving it. I have a GREAT class, and the smaller numbers are amazing.
  • I haven't watched tv regularly since I got back from vacation. I can count on one hand the number of times I have turned the tv on by myself, usually John turns it on if he wants it. It was hard at first, I missed the noise, and I missed my favorite shows. Now I like listening to music more and being able to concentrate more. John is loving it too, because I can't complain about what he is watching, and I don't grab the remote. I have watched more A team than I would usually enjoy, but I like not caring what is on tv. I can't wait to save on our Verizon bill by removing tv from it!
  • I am going to be an aunt! Justin and Kelly are expecting in March and we are so excited for them. Her being pregnant really made me think about the whole concept, and while it didn't make me think that I needed to be too, it did make me think differently. I think it's because it is the first time that someone younger than me is having a baby, but it's not a shocking I-got-knocked-up situation or a I-just-love-cuddly-babies-but-I-have-no-idea-what-I-am-getting-into situation. They have been married several years, have a safe place to live, 2 great jobs and a savings. They decided they were ready to go for it. It really made me think about how I say "We are not ready to have kids," when really we have everything we could possibly need to be ready. Somehow I know that we still aren't, so I am looking forward to observing Kelly closely for the next nine months and learning all I can. :)

I think that is it for now.

No comments: