Is it possible to accept and agree with both Piagetian and Vygotskian assertions about Child Development?
Piagetian= maturation philosophy, kids need "the gift of time" and should be allowed to develop at their own pace. Places responsibility on child to determine growth/timing. Putting academic and social pressure on kids before they are ready will have long term effects.
Vygotskian= environmental philosophy, kids will rise to meet the expectations that are placed on them in their environment. Places responsibility on parent/teacher to determine growth/timing. Trains children to respond to social and cultural stimulus (consequences lead to action.)
I really don't have the answer to that question, but I find it interesting. Below are some of the first places I would go to even begin thinking about answering it...
Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:15
Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.
Matthew 18: 1-5
At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
After that I would go to Room 4 and sit and watch. Makes me look forward to be able to to that again, actually. That's rare for the middle of June!
Here's to asking thought-provoking questions and observing what's around you today!
PS I really am interested in everyone's thoughts about this, from educators to parents and everything in between who (I think) read this blog. Researchers think they are awesome, but sometimes I think the best answers come from the average person observing their family or students.
PPS Can you tell I am working on a final for a class called "Understanding Literacy Research?" If I was working on my paper right now instead of on this blog I would be done with my 10th Masters class!
1 comment:
I always believe putting the bible first in all things. It is funny you posted this, we just had a good lesson about this subject last night, we visited Sun Garden church of Christ and it was on 14 reasons why we study the bible. You will find lots of opinions come out in people at the time you start raising your kids, only you and John and God will know the answer. It is good to be educated, but sometimes it is not, especially when it starts to interfer with Gods word. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I think you know where I am coming from, I am not educated like some others are but, but I pray about it everyday about raising our kids and grandkids:)
Post a Comment