Wednesday, July 29, 2009

It's that time again...

As much as I might try to ignore the calendar, I am in my last full week of summer vacation. This invariably means that the stress dreams have started. In the last few weeks I have dreamed:
  • that my class was high up on a scaffold and I was lost at a place like Disneyland or a fair trying to find them. Not only was I lost, but I was late and forgot that it was the first day of school and missed the memo that school was now at a Disneyland, fair-ish kind of place. (This might sound like fun, but it would be a nightmare to try and keep 5 year olds together and learning in a place like that!)
  • that I myself was back in school, having heard that if I didn't take one more math class at Cal Poly or my credential would be revoked. I managed to find a kind of cool math class (learning math concepts through Shakespeare. I could see the syllabus, and it actually looked pretty interesting!), but couldn't find parking or find the classroom. When I finally did, I realized it was a morning class but that I would only be available in the morning for a few more weeks. I woke up panicking about how I was supposed to finish the class in time for school and not get my credential revoked.
  • that I was back at school, but it was the first day of school and I wasn't ready. Of course, it started thundering and lightning, so by the time I made it to my classroom, it was full of wet kids and their parents looking for me.
  • that my giant carpet that has 30 squares for the kids to sit on had been washed and shrunk over the summer, then cut into small pieces. I kept screaming "EVERYONE SIT DOWN!! EVERYONE FIND A SQUARE TO SIT ON!!" but they just kept holding the squares in their hands and looking at me like I was crazy.
  • that I was helping Mr. Ralph (our custodian) edge the grass in the park next to our school.

I am sure there have been more, but these are the funniest. There have been short little glimpses of conversations with parents or my team. One nice one was seeing my sweet little Brynna in Room 4 from last year coming to see me on her way to first grade. I gave her a big hug and wished her good luck. I am sure they will get worse as I get closer and closer to the big day!

PS The only thing that gets me pumped up to go back to school is this guy.

No comments: