So we were heading back from lunch and John was vague about when we were meeting my parents. We stopped in La Verne to go to the bathroom, and then John said "Let's go for a drive." I honestly did not think anything was up until he started driving in circles once we got closer to home. I was hinting that we should go home and take a nap before the concert, but he just kept evading my questions and driving around. When he suggested we go get gas because we were close to Costco, I definitely knew something was up, I just didn't know what. He was driving around Upland and Claremont, and then ended up at our favorite yogurt place. Who do I see when I walk into Razzle Dazzle to go to the bathroom? Kim and Denise trying to hide from me around the corner! I was so shocked when I saw them that I just started laughing. I had to compose myself and walk out of the store and around the corner to where my party was. Even though I had guessed something was up, and had seen Kim and Denise, I was still so surprised to see everyone there, and to see all of the cupcakes and the decorations. It turns out my mom had been planning it for months. She got my sister to make invitations that she sent out to everyone at church. John's job was to keep me busy all day. My mom had even been giving me grief earlier in the week because I couldn't make plans with her since John was planning the day. Apparently I get my acting skills from her!


Razzle Dazzle is the only business in this strip mall, the rest are empty. In the middle there is a little courtyard with tables. First we got our yogurts, (my mom said the tally ended up being 200 ounces!) and then went back to the tables for the party.

Denise and Delena are so wonderful: they threw Denise's nephew a pirate themed birthday party on the same day, so they were baking, making decorations and setting up for 2 parties in the same day! (In fact, Denise's plans for Gavin's party was one of the things that threw me off: She was telling me all about this party she was throwing on April 2, and when I said "That's my birthday!" she said, "Oh, is it? I didn't realize." I thought for sure this meant there wouldn't be a party for me, because I would want Denise there, and she was already busy. She told me she was proud that she helped throw me off the track.)
I got a new charm for my fossil charm bracelet from my mom, a lunch date for exotic food with Marilyn, a very personalized gift written by Lori and Kim (a story in the vein of If You Give A Mouse a Cookie but about me and containing references to gifts in sets of 30), nail polish from Deann and all of the decorations (including fiesta ware) and cupcakes from Denise and Delena. We hung out there for about an hour and a half, and then cleaned up to go home. It was a great surprise, and my ideal party. :)
The day wasn't even over yet! We got to go see the Fab Four, which is the best Beatles Cover band. I have seen them countless times, and it was fun to be able to see them at Chaffey High school right around the corner, on my actual birthday.
Well, I feel sufficiently celebrated as I enter my 3rd decade. I am so thankful for my husband and my parents, my blood family and my spiritual family. I have done a lot in these 30 years, and been blessed with a lot. I look forward to what's coming next!
3 comments:
dont forget the awesome logo/invitation your sister made you!
looks like so much fun going on all day, can't wait to see what the next 30 years will bring, LOL!
Ok, so I didn't know when the big day was! Looks like it was a fantastic celebration. Can you send me your mailing address, por favor? xoxo
Post a Comment