Friday, April 15, 2011

Why I teach Kindergarten

When my class walked into the classroom today, a little girl with the tiniest body but the HUGEST personality handed me this: On the outside, attached with a string was a note that said: "tha Q for byig my techr." (Kindergarten Translation: "Thank You for being my teacher.")

Inside the bag, I found this.


I was very confused about recieving 2 tea bags and 3 cookies, until I was told to look inside again for the "instructions," which said: "WotL Miks Joklet Chip mixs bowl uvin sharit with Mistr brisin. they will tast god with the te."




Kindergarten translation (as she read it to me): Mix Chocolate Chips in a bowl. Put it in the oven. Share it with Mr. Bryson. I think they will taste good with the tea."


I cannot even express what this means her brain is doing: she thought of an idea and wrote it out step by step. She used inventive spelling ("uvin" for "oven," "joklet" for "chocolate"), her knowledge of sight words (they, with) and phonics skills (able to spell th and ch) to write down an idea of her own creating. Plus she connected other things she knows (Mr. "Brisin" likes cookies) to something we were reading about the day before (Freddy baked cookies with his mom in Ready Freddy Celebrates the 100th Day of School) and was able to express a new idea.


It might look like scribbles, but it is actual gold. Actual proof in my hands that I have taught something this year.


Kiss my brain for that.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is so sweet, probably the best gift ever, out of the mouths of babes, so did you bake the cookies yet and share with Mistr brisin?