Friday, April 22, 2011

The Easter Bunny has really strong tape and other Kindergarten thoughts.

Warning: this is going to be a Kindergarten heavy post. Proceed with caution...

Today was our Easter party, and we had a fun time. We have found that parties go much better when the students are in smaller groups, so we have started doing parties during centers. Today our centers were: counting and sorting jellybeans, decorating a cookie, making a bird's nest and playing with "tubs." (Big plastic containers full of legos, lincoln logs and other fun things. These are generally reserved for special occasions.)

As soon as they got to school, they found that the Easter Bunny had visited our room and had left plastic eggs for them all. We had a small hunt in the classroom, and they then used those eggs filled with jellybeans when they came to my center. Of course, they didn't actually come from the Easter Bunny, but from my "room mom" (who has actually become a friend of mine) who so kindly decided to tape all of the eggs shut so that the jelly beans wouldn't come spilling out mid-hunt. Apparently, it is very difficult to peel scotch tape that has been stuck to a plastic egg for a few days, hence the title of this entry, which is an actual quote. The students were pretty frustrated at trying to get them open (and the pads of my thumbs were pretty sore from helping to unstick 80 plastic eggs) but were pretty happy with the result. One student nervously tried a black jelly bean and loved it, but another student confidently popped it in her mouth and was surprised to find that she thought it tasted "like soap." When prodded, she said "I know what soap tastes like because I tasted it when I was little. I was crazy when I was little."

My favorite part of the day was what came after centers and snack recess: we are putting on a play. I cannot stress how amazing it is to work with a group of kids who can learn lines, build sets and genuinely appreciate performing and watching each other perform. Remember, most of them have just barely turned 6. Right now we are rehearsing and practicing staging and how to act. The story we are acting out is Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (I love his name!) and it was all the students' idea. We made a tree for the peddler to lean against, gathered hats, and have taken turns acting like monkeys and peddlers. It is the cutest thing ever, and they are so proud of themselves. We will practice more next week and then perform for other classes and maybe for our parents. I am SO sad to be passing this group of kids on to first grade. :(

Speaking of first grade, remember when I told you I was cautiously optimistic but still really nervous? Turns out I was right to be nervous. I still have my job (most likely) but there are probably some changes that will take place next year. The real bummer is that there is no real way to know what those changes will be and where I will end up until I end up there. I am trying to take this as a lesson in patience and faith since planner me can't make a list and solve the problem. So much depends on other things that there is no way to know, so I am trying to remind myself "Why worry? The Lord will provide." When I know more I will pass it on...

Anyway, after lunch we watched Easter With Max and Ruby and ate more Jellybeans (because we had filled up the marble jar) and then went home. I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and planning and working on our plans for "first grade month" when we will make our instruction and procedure a little more difficult to get ready for first grade.

Overall, it was a good day (other than the student who had an accident in front of the whole class, the kid who ruined the play by flipping his body around, the fight on the playground, the kid who won't stop tattling and the general aura of sugar in the air) and I can't believe there are only 23 days left!

Happy Easter!

No comments: