And it is off to a fabulous start.
I don't know if you could tell from my past few posts or not, but I needed a break.
And this break has been great, and promises to get better.
I had a great Friday at school with our annual making and eating of Stone Soup. I so enjoy doing this every year, and am even prouder that it was a unit of my own design and creation. I tried to be on top of things so that I could leave as soon as the kids left that afternoon, and it was an awesome feeling to walk out the door knowing I wouldn't be back for more than a week.
I spent the afternoon and the next morning helping the Grows get ready for their huge Harvest party that they decided to throw again this year after few years off. I was more than happy to help (and to offer my husband's help which is much more valuable!) after all they did for our moustache and bows party.
Later that day, John's parents came into town. We spent the afternoon baking and getting ready for the party. The party ended up being awesome, as it always did. Denise outdid herself with the ribs that she babysat all day long until they were seasoned and roasted to perfection. There were tons of desserts and games, and the ambience was very pleasurable. John grew his hair and beard out and dressed as Clint Eastwood in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly," and won best dressed male. He and Dad JD played guitars around the fire. It was a lovely evening, and we were glad that John's parents were able to be here for it.
Sunday was a normal, church going day, which is always good.
On Monday John had to work, but it was a great day for getting stuff done. I got loads of laundry done, did a ton of grocery shopping, plus I made all kinds of dishes for our "Thanksgiving" that afternoon. It was so much fun to just spend the day in and feel proud of accomplishing things. I am thankful Mom T was cooking too, and that she cleaned the kitchen as we worked! :)
Thanksgiving dinner was lovely. We made so much food that we were all disappointed when we started to get full. It was nice to have both of our parents together having a nice time.
John's parents had to go home today, but we will see them again this weekend.
It was such a nice day to just stay inside and get more things done at home. I FINALLY got that last stupid assignment done, and now hopefully I should be done with homework forever. (Knock on wood.) I watched several episodes of "Baby Story" (which mean much more to me now, by the way...) and "Tori and Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood," while eating leftovers and finishing my homework. I had lovely Greek food for lunch, since I never get to go out by myself, then I met my mom for a pedicure. My fingernails are currently a brand new set of french tips, and my toes are bright, shiny red.
John got a hair cut and then we met for a nice dinner at Salsita's. I have been feeling really distracted from him lately, since we are always on the computer, or I am falling asleep, or we are out with parents. It was nice to be out on a Tuesday night, talking and talking, remembering to pay attention and be in this moment because it is special.
Speaking of special moments, John is currently bringing in the Christmas boxes. One of my favorite first memories of times with John was when he first helped me decorate my apartment for Christmas. It was my first cozy experience with anyone, cuddling under a blanket in front of Christmas lights and I look forward to recreating it every year.
The first thing I always do, though, is go through my Christmas letters. Every year I write a letter to myself in the next year, telling myself what I loved about the previous year, asking myself what happens in the next year. I started in 2000, and I am building up quite a collection.
I am such a nerd.
On top of that, we are going on a little trip this weekend. I am really looking forward to having a little getaway.
Here is hoping that all of you have a lovely Thanksgiving, and enjoy your time off, if you are lucky enough to get it!
No comments:
Post a Comment