Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Baby Bryson Moustache or Bows Reveal Party, 2011

I read about the idea of a moustaches (spelled the European way, by the way) or bows party before I was pregnant. I thought it was a cute idea, but never really thought it would come together. I mentioned it to Kim in a casual way, and I love that she said, "Let's do it!"

We went all out with the planning, figuring lots of people would want to come because it was something new and different. I decided to be crafty and actually make some items and decorations for the party (my mom did way more than me, of course!).

The hardest/coolest part of all? I decided early on that I would be surprised too. John and I decided we could be strong enough to find out the surprise along with everyone else. We went to the ultrasound with an envelope and had the tech write it down and seal it inside. (My child of course was a PAIN during the ultra sound, but that it is a story for another post. I will share that later.)  I drove straight to my dear Denise's house and handed her the envelope and left right away before I could try to get it out of her. She baked cupcakes all by herself with the specific color baked in to the bottom of it. We would bite into the cupcakes at the party to reveal the surprise.

We were so excited that Mom T and Dad JD were able to come down for the party, and also that it wasn't raining on the day of the party.

Notice the pennant behind us: my mom just whipped that up!
Also notice the cupcake display rack: Denise has always wanted one and used this party as an excuse to finally get one.



I was responsible for this whole table! I covered the can in the middle with fun paper and filled it with moustaches and bows on sticks. My sister made the signs explaining what to do. I ordered a bunch of cheesy moustaches and my mom made the bows out of ribbons left over from our wedding.

First belly photo: 18 weeks.
Those are maternity jeans (which I have been wearing for more than a month) but the top is not maternity. I only show when holding my belly like this or wearing tighter tops. I mostly just feel fat. :)


Either a lot of people thought it was a boy, or everyone just wanted to wear a moustache. I came across very few pictures of anyone with a bow.








My dad honestly didn't care either way, but his response when asked why he was wearing a moustache was all Sheldon Cooper: "It is a statistical probability that it will be a boy based on the genetic sample set present."






I love candid pictures of my parents.

Us with everyone who thought it was a girl. I suppose I should say "wish" it was a girl, because everyone acted like it was a foregone conclusion that it was a boy.

Us with everyone who thought it was a boy.

 We really did let everyone hang out and eat their dinner before revealing the secret. Friends from school who knew I was having the party started texting me after 4:00 to see if I had found out, but we didn't eat the cupcakes until almost 6. Everyone else was more excited for us to eat the cupcakes than we were, I think! Gracie went around checking if everyone was done eating, and once she decided they were, we all gathered in the kitchen.


 As soon as I saw it was blue, I was not surprised. It didn't feel like it was either one, but it just made sense that it was a boy. Everyone cheered, I think because they all realized they were right.

Everyone cheered except for Mom T, who has been dying for a girl since she found out she would only be having her 2 boys. Maybe someday Tammy! :)


Everyone keeps asking "Is John SO happy to have a boy?" I think he is relieved to not have some of the drama that comes with a girl, but I don't think he feels like "more of a man" or anything. We both would have been happy either way.

It felt like cutting the cake at our wedding (although, we were eating cupcakes then too!) with everyone watching us eat. It was kind of awkward because they all stood around starting at us for 5 minutes after eating the cupcake.

I like Kim's face here. She is looking at me saying "I KNEW IT!" As a mama of 3 boys she is excited for me. I have loved all of her boys closer than any cousin normally would (I love her girl too, of course!) and when I think of having a Dylan, Luke or a Caleb for myself, I think I can be a mama to a boy too.


So now our secret is out, and we all found out together that we will have a son. It was such a special experience to share with those we love, and to realize how much they care about us and are excited for us. I am so thankful for Kim and Bill opening their house to us, Joy for taking these amazing pictures, and for Denise baking the cupcakes with such loving care and detail (and keeping the secret!) I am thankful for everyone who came and brought food and who gave hugs and words of wisdom.

More to come, of course!

No comments: