Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Seriously stuck in my head.

I have always had the kind of brain that gets stuck on repeat.

I can see a certain word that will get a certain song in my head for hours at a time. I will be singing that song hours later and wonder why.

Yesterday, I woke up with "H-A-V-E, HAAAAAAVVVVEEEE" in my head because we have been learning our sight words songs at school.

Everytime I walk through John's parents' living room I see the book titled Storms of Life and will be singing the hymn "Will your anchor HOLD in the storms of LIFE."

The worst part is when I don't really know the whole song and then it ends up being a mash up with something else that sounds similar. This usually happens with songs John will be watching on youtube when we are relaxing on the couch. The are old country songs that sound vaguely familiar, but I don't know them well enough. Like that one Keith Whitley (don't ask me what song or even how I know his name) song that turns into "You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi in my head.

John loves to torture me with this by saying that his therapy is to "play the whole song for me more often to get it out of my head." His playlist is usually Alabama, Johnny Rivers and the guy who sings "Secret Agent Man." (Which turns into "Secret Asian Man" in my head, by the way. It is stuck there now, just by looking at the words...) There is nothing wrong with any of these people, except for inside my OCD brain they end up taking lots of space.

Anyway, to the point of this blog. I have been teaching my first graders about time. I am not kidding when I say EVERYTIME I say, read or hear the work "clock" I think of this (specifically 0:10):



I love Jean Ralphio, and his interactions with Tom Haverford and Ron Swanson, but I should be able to think of telling time without thinking of him.

Seriously. The synapses need to stop firing every once and a while.

No comments: