Monday, May 3, 2010

Breaking News: I played softball, and I didn't die.

Seriously. I played softball. Like with people watching. And I didn't even hate it. I know, you're shocked, right? No more than I was, believe me.

Here are are some other fun things that we did this weekend on our trip to Fresno/Sanger/Clovis to visit the fam:
  • We got to see Justin and Kelly's new house. It is super cute and perfect for them. We were definitely jealous of their backyard, which is about the same size as ours but doesn't have a driveway across the middle of it. Our "babies" liked it too, but of course their sheer size and exhuberance overwhelmed their cousin Remington at first. He was not too pleased at having so many intruders in his backyard, but they were buddies by the end.
  • We got to hang out with the lovely-somehow-they-are-related Marty and Betty Jo Clark. They had come into town on their spiffy Harleys to visit Mom T and Dad JD, and were staying with them while we stayed with Justin and Kelly. We had a good time playing with dogs, riding horses and quads and motorcycles. (I will be honest and say that I just watched and did homework on the front porch.) We were glad when they stayed for lunch on Sunday too (we ate at the Doghouse Grill which is my new favorite place in Fresno to eat)
  • We met John's buddy Rob's girlfriend Miranda, who is lovely. I can't wait to get to know her more and share stories about traveling-- it is so awesome to meet someone else who not only studied abroad in college, but did it in London! I also can't wait to hear stories about what it feels like to be finishing your Masters, not just beginning it. Mom T said it herself, that it is crazy how all 3 of her boys (Rob counts as one of her boys!) have ended up with girls who have advanced degrees, since they all hated school.
  • Tyler Byrd showed me some mad Jedi Master Skills.
  • Oh yeah, the aforementioned softball game was at a local park with a bunch of people from church. I avoided it as much as I could by playing in the play equipment with all the little kids, but I couldn't hide for long. I got dragged into it, but it was not too bad. I got on base every time I was up except once and scored 2 runs. I fielded one of Nick's hits, and was able to keep him from scoring (at least on that play). It was just a nice time, playing a game with a group of like-minded Christians. No one got competitive or frustrated with people's differing skills, and it was fun to go to In-N-Out after with a bunch of people.
  • We took Monday off so we wouldn't have to squeeze in worship while traveling on Sunday. It was nice to sleep in this morning and take our time packing and heading home. The dogs slept like logs all the way home. At one point, Epiphone was fully on top of Mosrite and they both slept without noticing that they were uncomfortable in the backseat.

Now I am doing homework, and trying to remind myself that I am not currently on Summer break, that I still have 17 school days. Hopefully I don't forget to wake up tomorrow...

No comments: