Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One last "Overheard in Room 4" (for now)

Teacher: Ok guys, let's do our spelling test. Remember, this is a test, so you need to just write the words, not spell them outloud. Ready?

students get their pencils and papers ready

Teacher: Ok. Our first word is pop. Sound it out, think about how to spell it.

Student one: P O P!

Teacher: What did I JUST say?!?

Student one: clasps his hands over his mouth Sorry!

Teacher: Everyone else, keep thinking about how to spell pop.

Student 2: Teacher! Did you know if you add another o to pop you get poop?

Whole class: EWWWW! laughing hysterically

Teacher: Alrighty! I guess this is not going to count as a real spelling test... Good luck first grade teachers!

whole class continues to repeat poop! poop! poop! and laugh hysterically



** As much as it was a frustrating moment, I post this entry wistfully. Today was the last day of school, and while there were tough and exhausing moments, I will look back on this class fondly. I will genuinely miss the majority of the students and their parents, and actually found it hard to say goodbye today. I really feel like Mary Poppins: they needed me so much in ways they didn't even recognize, and now that I have filled this role, they are ready to move on, and they don't need me anymore. Watch the skies tonight to see if you notice me flying overhead with my umbrella and carpet bag.

1 comment:

The Short Family -- really just Marilyn said...

OK this is so validating. This sounds like my life at home everyday! Thankfully Wyatt has matured beyond this ridiculous silliness. But alas, despite their wonderful cuteness, my little ones do manage to annoy me with this type of behavior on a regular basis.