John told me he loved me while sitting on the rocks at Corona Del Mar.
It was the first time he came down to see me, and he came with Nick and Melissa. That was one of the most nervewracking weekends, as he met my parents, went to church with me the first time, and he was seeing where I lived for the first time.
We were still in that wierd gap between how we were on the phone (totally comfortable and open) and how we were in person (totally awkward) which made spending a lot of time close to each other with other people around very strange. (That gap didn't close until November 1 at the Grand Californian hotel at Disneyland. It was a palpable moment, like a shift in the time/space continuum, that we both felt, as cheesy as that sounds!) I had wanted to say those three words on the phone for a while, but it seemed smarter to wait to say it in person.
He must have told Nick he wanted to get me alone, because we were all walking along the beach and all of a sudden John and I were alone on the rocks. He said it, and I remember that I was annoyed that he said it first. I am pretty sure I said I love you back in an annoyed tone, like "Duh, I love you." It was probably one of those romantic things you always want to happen, and of course I wasn't in the moment, appreciating that I was sitting in a romantic spot with a cute guy who just told me he loved me.
I don't always remember this anniversary, which is probably why I haven't written about it before. For some reason it stood out to me this year. I remember saying, as we were walking away after, "Aww, we should always come back here on October 6th to remember that we finally said it." After I said it I realized that seriousness, that I meant that we would always be together on future October 6th's, even though we had only known each other 2 months. He didn't balk at that, and neither did I.
Of course, we have been together, and we even live in Southern California (which was up for debate for a while there before we got married), but we have not been back to Corona Del Mar on October 6th since. Still, I treasure the memory, and want to remember it always.
1 comment:
Not an "I love you" memory, but Brian still has the ticket stubs from our first date, way back on 8-12-93. Worst movie in the history of the world, with the best person in the history of my world.
Post a Comment