Saturday, October 15, 2011

Today was a dauncy day.

Dauncy= "not sick, but feel lousy"

It is from the I Love Lucy episode where she finds out she is pregnant. It is a word that her grandmother made up and perfectly described how I felt today.

I seriously have barely gotten off of the couch. My head hurts, my stomach hurts and I just feel overall achy, dizzy and weak.

Plus also, pregnancy brain is FOR REALS, ya'll. I cannot tell you how many things I have forgotten, can't remember or simply just can't figure out. I feel like the information that I want is in my brain and I can see right where it is, but there is a transparent wall that allows me to see it, but not actually access it. Moms love to laugh at this and tell me that it never goes away. Everyone knows that I think too much, so maybe this is a good thing?

Want an example? Thursday night we tried to go to Costco's food court. It is our weekly thing: I get home from my English class, change clothes, we go eat and then browse. Sometimes we need things, sometimes we don't. I got home Thursday night, starving and exhausted looking forward to my slice of pizza (yes, I eat pizza now, not a yogurt. It's the baby's fault. Also, I have only gained 6-7 pounds this whole time, which is right on track. Don't judge.) a few samples, cheap dog food and then pajamas and Parks and Recreation. To my surprise and dismay, Costco decided to remodel it's food court and didn't tell me, so we got there just in time for me to not die of starvation and it was closed. This is where the pregnancy brain came in: I could not fathom that the food court was closed. I could not form a plan of where else we could eat. I could not bear the idea of walking into Costco to shop WITHOUT eating my slice of pizza. All I could do was sit in the truck with my mouth hanging open. Luckily John had his wits about him, and we were able to do our shopping a little faster than usual and we bought a pizza to bake a home. That worked out better because I was able to eat a lot more pizza, also in my pajamas while watching Parks and Recreation.

The moral of this story? Pregnancy brain is no joke, and Costco is not allowed to make any changes without warning me.

Back to my dauncy day.

On the plus side, I wrote a 17 page paper while laying on the couch and I only have 3 more assignments until I finish my masters!! We also managed to stay home all day to save on gas money and on eating out money, which is an accomplishment for us. Saturday usually requires going somewhere, spending money and eating out, so it was a tough day for John, but it is a good habit to get into, I think. Not always, but sometimes.

The dauncy-ness comes and goes, so I am hoping that tomorrow being out and about will be helpful. I am 15.5 weeks right now, and the baby is the weight of 70 paper clips. I feel like my stomach is bloaty and rude, nosy, "observant" people have told me that I have a little pudge. That is really  nice to hear, by the way. Other people who are not so rude, nosy or "observant" have told me that I don't look different at all. I am wearing maternity pants all of the time now (they still won't quite stay up easily) but still wearing my regular tops. I am slowly but surely going through clothes that aren't comfortable any more, and one of the top things on my list when I am done with my masters is to go through my closet and the closet that will be the baby's room and do some major construction and reorganization.

Well, it is Saturday night, and you know what that means: time for my weekly spa evening. I am hoping that will make me feel better too.

I will try to update the "tin roof rusted" category more often, because I am terrible about emailing people, and because I am afraid I am going to forget all of this. This blog is mostly for me, after all! I will post belly pictures (fully clothed, of course) when there is actually something to show!

1 comment:

The Kranky Crow said...

This post made me remember when I was pg with Air and doing my one of long-term 2nd grade classes...I became narcoleptic. I'd sit on the couch with homework to check or the plan book to work on--bright-eyed and alert. The next thing I knew, I'd be waking up, keeled over the side of the couch with drool.

"These are the days [you'll] remember forever," as Natalie Merchant once sang. ;)