Here is the background for the following conversation: Our school has a new program called the Literacy Lab, which is an intervention program for struggling readers. About half of my first graders qualify for the program, and I am so glad that they get to go. I love the ladies that work there, and think it is a great option for my students. One of my favorite students (yes, we have favorites, but we keep it to ourselves) was complaining about how boring it is to go to the lab, and I was surprised at his reaction. I shared it with Michele, our Assistant Principal, nervous about how he had been acting in the lab.
Me: My kids were complaining about going to the literacy lab yesterday. Have they been acting up there?
Michele: What?!? We do everything we can to make it as fun as possible!
Me: I know, I was disappointed that he said that, I tried to point out how fun you and the other ladies are.
Michele: Well...
me expecting her to say "Some students who struggle with reading don't enjoy the extra practice because it shows them how much they need to learn, or they feel like they don't get it." then she actually said:
That just shows how much they love you and how well they respond to you.
Me: That is not what I thought you were going to say at all!
Michele: You should see some of the kids that some to us, SOOOO excited to get out of their classroom and have some attention paid to them for once. Your kids don't feel that way because they get that from you.
Me: :)
This year has been hard for me, and I really needed this positive change in perspective!
1 comment:
awww... love that!
Post a Comment