Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Finishing Christmas

We decided to pretend like it was Christmas morning after morning worship. We had lunch at our house, but we had breakfast instead. I made huevos rancheros, and my mom made cinnamon rolls. We had biscuits and tortillas, and fresh squeezed tangelo juice from my new juicer attachment for my Kitchenaide mixer. It was all really yummy, and easy to fix and enjoy.

After eating we opened presents. My sister made us these really cool hand made books (mine is a journal, and John's was holding a gift card...) and my parents did really good with getting us things we had asked for as well as some surprises. John of course got some tools and some clothes, just because my mom can't not buy clothes. He also got a new creeper that is shiny and red, and should be used for working on cars but will more likely involve experimentation with Mosrite as a skateboard. I got lots of stuff for baking, like a batter dispenser and new cupcake pans, and a rolling pin and really cool cookie cutters that are in the shapes of letters.

After afternoon worship we were going to go home and take down Christmas stuff, but we decided to go hang out at Lori and Chris' instead. It was nice to hang out and chat, but we didn't stay too long.

I forgot to mention that I couldn't resist giving John his present on Friday night, so he got to open his box set of Home Improvement that night. It comes in a really cute Binford tool box. We have been enjoying a few episodes every night ever since.

John revealed his present to me, which was a surprise trip to Disneyland. We went on Monday because he ended up last minute getting the day off. I was truly surprised, because this didn't occur to me at all! As soon as we got there, though and saw how crowded it was, and how much one day costs to get in, we just decided to spend time in Downtown Disney instead. It was really hard not to buy passes, but we were strong that we will save up and get them when our kids are bigger. :( We saw Sherlock Holmes (LOVED IT!) and ate at the pool bar in our favorite place, the Grand Californian. We had Ruby's for dinner and stopped at Target on the way home. It was a great present of a day.

I have been on a roll at home ever since! It hit me that even though the baby isn't coming for another 3 months, the stuff that comes with a baby will come sooner. Our little house has gotten a little disorganized and we have been lax in our ability to logically put things away. We want to turn the back bedroom into the baby's room, but A LOT needs to happen in the house before this can happen. It will literally change every other room in the house! I spent all day yesterday rearranging the first room, which we call the "Computer room." Now that it is logically laid out, some of the items that are in the future baby's room can be moved in here. Today I spent time working in our bedroom, since we want to put a sleeper in there for those late nights/early morning soon to come. We also need to consolidate two closets, so next on the list is demolition of our closet and the baby's closet (which are back to back at the end of the house, if that makes sense). We aren't actually tearing them down, just taking the doors off and cutting the shelves down at the top. When my mom gets home from her little holiday, we are going to go pick out racks and units to maximize the space in both closets, so that my and John's clothes can go in our room, and the baby's room can start out organized.

My goal is to have both closets done, and the baby's room empty before I go back to school. If there is enough time we might start looking at furniture too. I want to be realistic, though, and realize that I am depending on people to help me get these things done, so I can't be too much of a task master. It will get done eventually, and that's ok.

Also included in the 2 weeks in the need to go to my classroom. I feel like I have gotten woefully behind on things there, and I really need to organize and plan some units. I knew that once I left school it would be really hard to care about these things, but the back of my mind keeps telling me that I need to just go spend a few hours there.

It is funny, usually I spent Christmas break avoiding work as much as possible, but for this break I have been really gung-ho. I am enjoying myself and feeling happy that I am getting so much done. I am still doing plenty of relaxing, and plan to spend all day out after spending 2 days in. This weekend we are going back to John's parents' and will probably stay with Justin and Kelly one or two of the nights as well. So there is some fun happening in the midst of all of the work...

No comments: