Sunday, February 15, 2009

Did he eat it?

I have really been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to cook, not just for John, but in general. I know it is nothing new for most women, but it is definitely new to me. (I can already picture Kim laughing at me as she reads this... :)) How on earth am I supposed to cook something that tastes good (to a man, I might add...), is healthy, cheap and is the proper portion for one person so that he doesn't have to eat it 5 nights in a row?!? (I say one person because I still have food issues of my own that I am working out. That is another post entirely.) Also, it is a challenge because who knows when John will get home, when I will have a staff meeting, a night class or errands to run? Again, I can hear the collective laughs and sighs from all of the moms who actually have real things to keep them busy, but hey! I am used to living alone and eating nothing but vegetables and frozen yogurt! A

All of that being said, this is a new section of the blog that I hope to update fairly often. I really try to look for recipes that have simple ingredients, that can be prepared quickly, and seem like they might be approved by my husband's palate. I am trying to continue to do this now, while it is still new and fun, so I can develop good habits.

I found this recipe in cooking light, and thought it sounded like something that might work for us.

Chili Pasta with Beans: ground sirloin, cumin, oregano, chili powder, elbow noodles, tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes and green chilis.
Did he eat it? Yes! I was really excited to see him eat it fairly quickly and with big bites (not the picking and nibbling like he has done with some things I have tried...). He said it needed cheese, of course, but this was to be expected. The first night he had it in a bowl with bread, and then the next night he had it in tortillas as a burrito. I think the recipe said it was six servings, so I think I might half in the next time. I did try a taste of it, and I liked it. I also had fun making it, and was quite proud of myself for using real spices! I think that I will try it next time in a smaller portion with some veggies in it (very finely cut, of course).
PS Mosrite liked it too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O.K. one more comment. Just so you know...I get what you are saying...cooking meals day in and day out used to seem like such an overwhelming nearly impossible task. But keep at it and eventually one day you'll realize you're just doing it and it's working.
Marilyn