Friday, February 13, 2009

The mind of a 5 year old

A photo essay for you:











This is considered hard work. Can you find all of the pictures that start with the k sound? Can you finish this paper before teacher rings the bell? Did you remember to write your name/throw away your trash/get a paper for the next person? Very stressful.














These are all of the materials you need. Also, it is considered a great honor to be asked to put them away or get them out.













Being in school for 100 days is more than your brain can imagine. It is even harder to imagine that you have to be in school 80 more days, and that even after that you are not done, you just move to the next class.
















You can do math if it consists of counting and eating food.















This is an amazingly written story, rich with details and information. (Teacher's note: The sentence says "I opened my presents" and the picture shows the student standing outside of her house at night.)










Teacher always goes crazy reading books by Mo Willems. (Teacher's note: I really do.)









You are an amazing artist if you can follow the step by step directions to make a penguin.























Teacher will let us put marbles in the jar if we spell something on our own. (Teacher's note: This says "Highway to the danger zone." For some reason, two boys decided to spell highway on their own. I asked if they were on the highway to the danger zone, which they had never heard of of course. The spelled it on their own, and did get to put marbles in the jar.)




I hope that took you back to your 5 year old mind, even a little bit. When I
get overwhelmed or frustrated, all I have to do is think about their little
minds and hearts and the day gets a little easier.

PS I am always curious: what do people remember about their Kindergarten
teacher? I have an insane memory (I remember thinking my K teacher wasn't
explaining a project clearly enough and she needed my help to explain it to the
kids. I was a teacher even at 5.) so I can't judge what these little
guys will remember based on my memories of my own teacher. Stories, anyone?

1 comment:

THE RIVERA FAMILY said...

Just that I got in trouble and had to stand in the corner for telling on someone! lol!! I still remember her though. :)