Sunday, October 3, 2010

No, I am not getting old. My interests have just changed.

I did something this weekend that I haven't done in a long time: see 2 concerts.

I can't remember the last time I did that, but I do remember the marathon weekend of seeing maroon 5 on friday and phantom planet on saturday and monday all in one weekend. Part of me has missed it, and part of me hasn't. I am so glad I had those experiences, but I don't feel the need to follow bands around like I used to.

Anyway, I bought Tom Petty tickets for John's birthday back in June, and it was rescheduled to this last weekend. I was reminded why I don't go to large venues: SOOO crowded, *strange* smells wafting through the air, and terrible parking situations. I was reminded, also, though why I LOVE concerts: hearing my favorite songs live, seeing guys do live what you've listened to a million times, hearing something so loud you almost can't stand it. It was fun for John and I to see a band that we've come to love together, and is actually a form of entertainment that we can agree on. Standing up, cheering and bopping around to live music is the best feeling ever.

This was my favorite song from the concert (this clip is from 2006, but it is the same version):



Two days before, we were able to spontaneously go to a Train concert at the Greek. Now, I would consider Train a step above a guilty pleasure: I like the songs they have on the radio, they are fun to sing to, but I wouldn't own an album or seek them out live. When cheap tickets come up available from a friend (thanks Christina!) and they are at a venue I have always wanted to see, all of a sudden I am a fan! Guilty pleasure or not, you can't deny that they have talent and their songs are fun. Pat Monahan was really funny and energetic, and sounds just as great live onstage as on the radio.

My favorite part of the show was when he brought up a bunch of girls to sing along with the song "She's on a Fire." I guess he does this every show because the clip I found was from a different show. This shows you how funny he was and how well he can sing.



It was nice to be out and about, and to see different things and places. I definitely want to be about going to concerts again, but in a more shall we say refined manner than I used to! :)

No comments: