Tuesday, July 26, 2011

3 years ago today, right now, is a moment I will never have again.

And I am actually relieved about that. :)

Right at this moment, 3 years ago, I was at Central Park in Rancho Cucamonga, taking pictures, getting ready and already starting to sweat and feel uncomfortable in my stupid shoes waiting to marry John.

I remember a lot about that day. I remember that I was really calm, even when others around me weren't.  I remember that all the finishing touches came together exactly how I had envisioned them. I remember being so thankful that I had so many people who loved me and were willing to help. I remember that the photo shoot area the photographers had set up was really fun and that I was glad so  many people were using it. I remember that I was so relieved that the day was here and that it was almost over. I was even more relieved to realize that John and I would never have to sleep in separate places again, and that we would never have to drive 250 miles on a regular basis, just to see each other, and that we could just be every night, not have to be on the phone.

I find it funny, though, to relive what I have heard others say about their memories of our wedding.

  • John's cousin Keith was obsessed with the chocolate fountain, and was huddled around it with all of my little cousins.
  • Pretty much all of my little cousins have said that they didn't know John at the time, and were a little scared of him. Poor Dylan was the ringbearer and had to take pictures with John without really knowing him. Now they all hang off of him or hang out with him (depending on their age), but then they hadn't spent much time with him. Delaney especially has gotten to know John's family and hasn't connected how many people she knows now were also at our wedding.
  • Kelly opened Justin's Dr. Pepper bottle while he was making his speech, and then placed the lid back on without screwing it. Justin didn't know any of this and picked up his bottle with gusto and sprayed it all over Kelly and his hand while everyone watched him finish his speech.
  • The girl doing the hair and makeup started curling Kelly's hair after Kelly had already started flatironing it. The result was hair that fell flat. She still looked perfect, and had a good attitude, but I would have been mad if it was me!
  • Rob and Justin have talked about the flirtatious nature of the photographers, who were sisters and used their feminine wiles to get the poses and shots they wanted. I think Rob enjoyed that at the time. I also remember that all of the single guys were interested to see who got to walk down the aisle with Vanessa, who is my one hot friend. (Sorry, all other friends, but you have to admit it's true.) I think we were hoping she would hit it off with one of them, but it was not to be so. Now none of those guys are single!
  • I was okay with some decorations on my mini as we left, but would have been mad if they had gone too far. It is in this area that I will always be thankful for my sister: one of the guys decided to put "Honk if you're horny" on one of the windows and luckily she saw it and rubbed off everything except "Honk," which made it much more appropriate.
  • Poor Kim had a 10 day old newborn. It had always been a dream of mine to have her be my Matron of Honor since being a bridesmaid in her wedding had been one of the most special days in my life. I decided to be happy that she could be there (even though this was asking a lot), even though I was sad she couldn't wear a red dress with everyone else.
  • John always says that he remembers that my mom never came to get the guys to tell them that it was time to come out for the ceremony. He panicked when he saw her walking down the aisle and had to shove Rod and all of the guys out the door.
  • My dad talks about enjoying mingling and being the father of the bride. He also talks about feeling like he was trying to clean up after the wedding while wearing a plastic bag because he forgot to bring a change of clothes and had to work in his rented tux.
  • I am not sure what, if anything, my mom remembers because she was running around all day!
For pictures and other memories go here, here, here and here.

3 years of marriage has been everything I could have hoped it would be. I am so much happier and more in love with John now than I was then, and can't wait for many more years and experiences together.

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Happy, happy anniversary, friend. I'm so happy for you both, and that you have a lovely day of celebration.

kimblades said...

I enjoyed reading that!