But then, in the last few months, John was working crazy hours and needed a break. It felt like I had been doing nothing but schoolwork and chores, so I needed a break too! Anyway, we decided that we could afford for John to take a few days off, but only if we went to a cheap, super relaxing place for a few days. This, of course, ruled out anything with an airplane (John's "preference") or in a city that needs any kind of map or has traffic (my preference).
Where can you go that is deserted, even in the summer time, has affordable hotels, and has easy access for a short trip? Why, the Central Coast, of course!
John's favorite place is Pismo, but that is best for riding quads and camping on the beach. Cambria is my parents' favorite place, but its beach is too rocky. Morro Bay is a bit too tourist-y. San Luis Obispo is a great town, but not anywhere near the actual beach.
This left, of course, Cayucos.
I am being so facetious about this because the Blades, Browns and Carpenters visit Cayucos for a week or 2 every year. I used to go with them and stay with them, but then, you know, I got married and travelled with a husband and stuff. It just so happened that we would be there during their stay, staying less than half a mile away from them. It has kind of been their place, and I have many wonderful memories of staying there with them. I was worried at first that it would look like we were copying them or mooching off of them. Then my mind was confused about who I actually am: the girl who travels with the fam? or the girl who travels with her husband? Can I be both?
It turns out all of this worrying was needless, that I can be both girls: I spent time with my husband and with my family. My favorite parts of the trip were spending time by myself chatting with Kim, Lori and Aunt Sue, or going out to lunch or Hearst Castle with everyone. I am SO glad that everyone got to know John on his own, and that everyone found out how much they have in common. I am also ecstatically that John's parents and bro came down and everyone got more acquainted with them as well.
Of course, the time spent with my husband was precious as well. We went on walks, out to eat, to take pictures of scenery and just hung out around our hotel. We actually learned that since we spend so much time alone together that it was nice to add others to our conversations and find that they agree or can add new thoughts.
As I alluded to in my post below, I was 100% relaxed and refreshed during and after this trip. That is the purpose of a vacation, yes?
Evidence of relaxation:
Mom T and Dad JD came with Justin that morning. We missed Kelly (she had some family health problems at home) but were glad the others were able to come. Mom T and Dad JD took a walk on the pier while Justin boogie boarded and built sand castles with John and the kids. Later on, we went back to everyone's house to share Caleb's birthday cake and to chat.
I took this one for my mom: Caleb had just turned 2 the day before and my mom sent him this bubble machine for his birthday. He kept saying "BUBbles!"
It was funny that John and I had never really eaten lunch out apart before. Kim, Aunt Sue and some kids and I had the Natural Cafe and John went with everyone else to Woodstock's Pizza. It felt funny to walk in two separate directions, but it was nice to eat my food without worrying if he is hating it... It was also nice to let him pig out on pizza without having to just stare at him! I think it was also good for us to be apart a bit, but not for too long... :) Anyway, this was in SLO after lunch on Sunday, while they were waiting for us to walk back to meet them.
Checking out Hearst's fire truck while we wait for our tour.
We went on the tour of one of the guest houses, of Hearst's private rooms and of the kitchen. This was the view looking down from one of the guest rooms.
Gracie and I admired the period clothing that was left hanging in the closet. These belonged to Marion Davies, who was Heart's "girlfriend." Gracie didn't see a problem with this until she heard that Hearst was already married, and that his girlfriend was very young. After understanding the whole situation she said "I don't like the girlfriend because they weren't married, but I still like her clothes."
When we got back from Hearst Castle, we went to eat at the Mainstreet Grill in Cambria. We ended up having a bonfire on the beach that night, which was probably my favorite activity from the whole trip. It was a spontaneous activity, though, so I didn't have my camera with me! I will have to ask Kim to borrow her pictures.
On Tuesday, we were going to go on a hike, but the timing just didn't work out. We ended up going back to SLO (I got to have Natural Cafe and frozen yogurt AGAIN!) and then home for a walk. We took a bunch of pictures just to remember how perfect everything was.




We went back to the house after the walk, and John went with Bill and Chris and some of the kids to have dessert at the Sea Shanty. I was remembering how this used to be something that the guys on the trip liked to do, and it felt kind of poignant to have my own "guy" to go with them. I hung around and chatted while they were gone, then we had to say our goodbyes because the next day we were checking out. :(
3 comments:
I like the new header!
Thanks! Rob's girlfriend Miranda pointed me toward a tutorial for a software called Picasa from google. It's free and fairly simple to use. Now I don't have to learn/buy Illustrator or Photoshop. I plan to change the header more often now!
Oh I laughed SO hard at the Marion Davies commentary. I worked with her grand-daughters here in Fresno at a tax office. Interesting family...to put it lightly. I love Hearst's "humble" abode. You choose a perfect getaway spot I'd say!
Post a Comment