Monday, July 12, 2010

I've had my next post in mind for a week, but it was too hard to write, so this is what you get instead.

  • Last week was spent sleeping, cleaning and doing homework.
  • Also in there was some pretty cool time with actual people. I think I have mentioned once this summer that I have been surprised at how much time I have spent with people, and how duh that helps with the whole I-am-so-lazy-i-hate-myself phenomenon that usually happens every summer. So last week I went to a ladies Bible study, out to lunch with Kim and the kids then to their swimming lessons and then to lunch with Marilyn the next day. Oh yeah, I also went with Kim and Lori to see "Eclipse." All fun times.
  • We are going to Cayucos next weekend, and I am just so glad we will get to get away a little bit. John has been working crazy hours, and while we like the paychecks, I don't want him to get burnt out. (I am guessing pics from the trip will be my next post...)
  • When it comes to going on a trip, I love making lists. I have already made a list of the food we will bring, and my goal (to help me not lose all of my weight loss progress, and to save some dollars) is to bring enough that we will eat out once a day. We will see how that goes. Anyway, the rest of this week will be spent making lists about what fun things to bring (chairs, towels, which books I will read, camera, etc.) and what clothes we will need (sweats for going on walks, tank tops for the beach, dresses for evenings, etc.) Is it sad that packing is one of my favorite parts?
  • I am actually tackling the back room. John and I put a bunch of clothes away last night, and both agreed that if we had half as many clothes as we do, there wouldn't be such a problem. I just thinned out my shoe collection, and am going to hit the closet next.
  • We had the loveliest time at Disneyland this weekend with Rob and Miranda et al. At first we were worried we weren't going to get to go, since John got called into work. We decided to be spontaneous and head down there in the afternoon (which we never usually do) and it ended up being great. I am beginning to feel that Miranda and I are kindred spirits, and I love to see John and Rob together. Miranda concurred that neither seem to talk or laugh normally quite the way they do when they are together. I also loved getting to meet and get to know Miranda's friend Marge who was lovely as well. I am working on convincing them to get Disneyland passes and to twist their arms to come stay with us any time they are able!
  • Okay, so here's the part that I was dreading writing about: my dear friend and one of my "second moms" Marti Wollam passed away on Monday. She had been battling extensive skin cancer for about 18 months and finally lost the battle last week. I had this memorial style blog entry in mind, complete with pictures and anecdotes, but I have been putting it off and putting it off. I realized I wasn't jumping at the chance to write it because I can't believe she is gone. So, it is too soon to write such an entry, but maybe it will come later. The wierd thing is that she had retired 2 years ago, so I hadn't seen and talked to her daily in a while. I think that is why my mind can't understand that she is gone. Her funeral is tomorrow, so we will see how I feel after that.

Anyway, that is the best I can do for now. My goals for this week are to: have a clean house, have homework done for the next two weeks, have organize what we are bringing with us and not to spend any money.

Good luck to me!

4 comments:

Miranda said...

We had the BEST time seeing you guys! I'm so sorry about your second mom- that must be brutal. Your spirits seemed so high on Saturday I would have never guessed you'd experienced such a painful loss. Rob's already suggested twice that we invest in annual passes, so as soon as the funds are available we'll be making the plunge. Love to you both!

Molly said...

I think I am just not believing that she's gone, so it wasn't really on my mind. I am not sure how it will feel after her funeral. On a happier note: I cannot wait for you guys to get passes! And, I also cannot wait to see you and Marge's photos. I might have to steal them for my blog, but I will be sure to give you photo credits... :)

Miranda said...

Ha, no worries on the pictures! I might try and upload an album on Shutterfly or something for easy access since I've deleted my FB account. I'm already wishing we were back...but alas, reality calls.

Marge said...

You guys are the cutest couple. Ever. I'm so glad we had the chance to meet and hang out, I can't wait to do it again soon. Promise to post pictures soon!!!