I decided to go through my pictures and look for her. I found that she was present in a lot of them, which was so true of her. She loved to be involved, to be in the middle of everything, to share or hear a good story, and to help. After her service yesterday, seeing how many people were there who felt the same way, I realized that this was just her, and that she was that way for everyone.
For those of you who didn't know her, she lived right behind my parents and my sister and I went to school all the way through with both of her sons. (In fact, one of my sister's favorite Deer Canyon stories to share is that she and Marti's son Paul would go through the salad bar for lunch and get only croutons and pickles. The croutons were for eating, and the pickles were for throwing and seeing if they would stick to the wall.) Marti eventually became an instructional aide at Deer Canyon, where she got closer to my mom who was also librarian at the same school. Marti was the K aide when I first started teaching, and I got to know her as a colleague and equal, more than just a mom of some boys I knew.
Her help was indispensable. Things would be done when you didn't even know you wanted them done (paper and paint would show up in my room in the morning for a painting that the kids needed to do) and she would help with anything, as long as she got final say on how they looked (I still think "Would Marti be okay with this?" when I am hanging something up in my room.)
She decided to retire after my 3rd year there, but was definitely not gone or forgotten. She would drop by for lunch (always bringing Del Taco, her favorite, with her) and always helped with any party that was going on. She was one of the "Special Ladies" in our wedding who helped set up and organize everything for our special day.
In other words, she was a special lady, and she is missed.
In her lovebirds apron on our wedding day. She was one of the first people that I knew we could ask to help, that she wouldn't feel put upon or annoyed with whatever we needed her to do. In fact, she probably would have gladly done more!
Marti and my mom at the rehearsal. Her organizational skills and willingness to help were always a calming influence.
At my wedding shower at Teri's house. She had already retired by this point, but gladly dropped everything to set up the party.
As you can see: she liked to be in the middle of everything. She helped me organize the present and throw away the trash so she could be the first to see what the presents were. :)
She even came home early from a trip to help us put together the wedding invitations.At Deer Canyon's Christmas party, probably 2006. I remember that night she told me to "Be Careful," because I was wearing a cute dress and boots and I was going with some friends to look at the christmas lights. I remember thinking "What a mom thing to say!"
I am thankful that I got to know her and have her in my life.
1 comment:
I really enjoyed reading "Remembering Marti" she sounds like a lady I would have enjoyed being around and getting to know. WOW, how awesome was she it sounds like, you are very lucky to have the opportunity to have worked with her and have the memories you have of her.
Post a Comment