Thursday, July 22, 2010

Profound thoughts that I learned on vacation that I should have already known.

1. Life is better without tv. (Yes, I really just typed that.)

2. Life is better with good music playing. (Right now that means: Black Keys, Michael Franti, Maroon 5's new single and Disney songs)

3. Life is better when spent with people you love. (Playing on the beach is way more fun when you have little ones surprising you with a water bucket dumped on your head or a sand clod right to the chest!)

4. There is more time in your day when you concentrate on the right things. (meaning, no tv...)

5. Worrying or overthinking zaps you of energy. (I learned this because I wasn't worrying or overthinking, and all of a sudden, I had more clarity and energy.)

6. Talking things through with your equal is very satisfying. (I love my husband. What can I say?)

7. Communicating how you've been feeling for ages and knowing those feelings are reciprocated is also satisfying.

8. Sleep is peaceful and perfect when you get up early having something to look forward to, and go to bed with a happy day on your mind.

9. Drama is only allowed to be your equal if you let it. If you don't, it becomes a compliment.

10. It is possible to love everyone and everything when you are at a bonfire on the beach (and you know that you get to walk back to your hotel room after, not drive home in traffic).

I was going to put more details underneath each point, but I've decided to keep them to myself. I think that way my dear readers can take these profound thoughts into their lives in the way most meaningful to them.

I want to take that I-just-got-home-from-a-vacation-and-I-am-super-motivated-to-be-a-good-person feeling and put it in a bottle so I can open it and take a drag in mid-December. Since I can't do that, I am making some changes in an effort to hold on to this feeling as long as possible:

  • I got up when John left this morning and went for a long walk. (This incorporates point numbers 1,2,4 and 8)
  • I have not turned on the tv yet todayand am thinking about cancelling cable when our contract comes up again. (point 1, 4)
  • I did 3 loads of laundry this morning and put all of it away, including what was still in our suitcases. This is a big deal because I have been known to "forget" to unpack from a trip, and then find that I don't have much to pack for the trip we are about to go on... (point 4)
  • I am thinking of ways to spend more time with people I love, from Bible studies, to parties, to joining a gym, to planning holidays to make myself more accountable to people's feelings. I also want to be involved and have people involved. (points 7, 9)
  • I want my focus to be living a life that makes God, John and myself happy. This involves some unfortunate habits that need changing: complaining, worrying, being lazy, attitude. (points 5,6)

I believe that working on all of these things will help to make me a better, more complete adult person. I don't want to get overwhelmed with changes, but to make the ones that feel most natural while I am still in my post-vacation glow.

Sorry if this is not a very fun description of my vacation (that will follow) but I mostly wanted to post this so I can refer back to it when I am struggling. May it offer you some helpful information as well!

4 comments:

Miranda said...

This was a beautiful post. I'm so glad your vaca was exactly what you needed. The picture of John was absolutely priceless.

On making changes to your oh-so darling blog, check out this tutorial on making customer headers using Picasa (free and FAB photo editing software). http://blissfullydomestic.com/2010/how-to-make-a-blog-header-for-free

If you have questions, let me know-I've gone through quite a few different ones in my day :)

Molly said...

Thanks for the tip! As you can see, it was very helpful! :)

Miranda said...

Hellll-lllooo fast turnaround. Looks SO so cute. I need a Starbucks afternoon to finish my new header up <3

Anonymous said...

loved the post about your vacation, it sounds very relaxing and beautiful, agree with Miranda, loved the picture of John very priceless, the picture of both of you is also very good.

You know what is next Molly? LOL!

I always wondered what it would be like without #1 & #4.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!