Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Increasing our Curb Appeal

Our front yard never looked bad per se, but just like it needed to be straightened up with a little splash of color. I have never been one that is interested gardening or taking care of plants, but I had some ideas for what might look good in the front. It was important to choose plants that are hardy and independent and won't need a lot of attention, and also one that don't need a lot of water. Home Depot was having a Memorial Day sale, so each plant only cost $5 at the most.


Our Before pictures:
I can't remember what the colorful plants are called, but they are succulents. They are in the same section as all of the cactus and spiky desert plants, which usually I don't like. These were cute because I loved the colors of its blooms, and it looks like cabbage without them.
The green plants are Japanese Boxwoods which are a common shrub. They should grow to a pretty good size, and we can shape them however we want.

This picture is blurry because I was messing with the settings on my camera and didn't realize I had changed it to Manual Focus! I included this picture anyway just to prove that I helped, that my hands actually got dirty picking weeds. The whole time I was thinking back to those days when my parents used to make me pick weeds on Saturday mornings. It really is different when it is your own house.

John of course is a Pro at everything.
And.... TADA!

It looks so much better! I didn't even know they made black wood chips until we saw them at Home Depot. They are the perfect contrast to the flowers, and just make the planters stand out.




The plants are really small now that they are in the ground, so you can't see them too much from the street. We bought plant food and need to water every 2 to 3 days, so hopefully they will start growing soon!

No comments: